Sunday, June 17, 2012

Surprised in London

Today I had the amazing opportunity, along with Kevin and Rebecca, to attend the evening service at Westminster Abbey in London. I was looking forward to the rare opportunity of worshipping in such an historical location. I mean Westminster was built in 1065, long before the country I call home was a twinkle in the eye of any founding father. Every monarch since William the Conqueror has been crowned in the Abbey, with the exception of Edward V and Edward VIII who were never crowned. That's a lot of history!



The Abbey is beautiful and I sat in my pew taking it all in. It was incredible walking over the green marble memorial stone under which Winston Churchill is buried. And also the memorial stone of Charles Darwin, that trouble-maker!

What I didn't expect was to enjoy the service so immensely but I did. I loved the interactive service, the sit and stand, the readings and responses, the up and down of this traditional service.

I also didn't expect the fantastic message, which The Reverend Peter McGreary Priest Vicar delivered. Reverend McGreary shared a beautiful message about Jesus. He said so often we forget that Christianity is about Jesus. We make it about books and rules and doctrine. We make it a concept, but a concept doesn't have a mother. He asked us to live out the love of Jesus every day, to let Jesus be seen within us. He said, "Be an icon for Jesus." I love that.

I am thankful for the unexpected today, and for the blessing of worshipping my God in such a unique way. I hope that tomorrow as I put some more wear and tear on my poor feet, I will remember to live the love of Jesus in every step.


2 comments:

  1. I am in awe of that picture! I can't believe you are there! And to get to go to church there - wow. I can't even comprehend the amount of history you were surrounded by. The message you heard is so true! We are so good at filling our heads with knowledge, we forget that life is about the love of Jesus. Thank you for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an unbelievable experience. So grateful.

      Delete