Friday, March 20, 2015

Walking Towards Easter, Day Three

Mark 14:43-52
While He was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, suddenly arrived. With him was a mob, with swords and clubs, from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders. His betrayer had given them a signal. “The One I kiss,” he said, “He’s the One; arrest Him and take Him away under guard.” So when he came, he went right up to Him and said, “Rabbi!”—and kissed Him. Then they took hold of Him and arrested Him. And one of those who stood by drew his sword, struck the high priest’s slave, and cut off his ear.

My first thought is that the boldness of Judas' betrayal is frightening. It was so blatant, so obvious. What was he thinking? What must the other disciples have thought as this was happening? Well, I suppose we know what the disciple who drew his sword was thinking. He was taking control of  bad situation. He was "helping" Jesus out. Wow! How often have I done Jesus the favor of "helping him out" by taking control of a situation? By not waiting to hear what He wants and rushing boldly in to control. This is a hard thing to consider, that in my need to control, I also betray Jesus. Please, Jesus help me let go of the need to control. Help me let go of the fear lurking behind this need.

But Jesus said to them, “Have you come out with swords and clubs, as though I were a criminal, to capture Me? Every day I was among you, teaching in the temple complex, and you didn’t arrest Me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled.” Then they all deserted Him and ran away.

Now a certain young man, having a linen cloth wrapped around his naked body, was following Him. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen cloth behind and ran away naked.

I so desperately do not want to be one who deserts You, Jesus. Please show me where in my life I am walking away from You!

No comments:

Post a Comment