Monday, March 23, 2015

Wisdom From My Mother

My mom taught me many things about life. She showed me how to love my children well. She taught me to knit and she instilled in me a good work ethic. But one of the most important things my mom taught me is how to rest when hiking or running without looking tired.

Here is what I mean. Say you are hiking up a steep hill or running and need a breather. Instead of coming to a gasping stop and very obviously showing the world your weakness, lean up against a tree, bend over a pretty plant or flower, or if desperate a rock will even do, and say something like, "Oh, isn't nature just beautiful. Look at the lovely texture and color of this fir tree [insert name of any tree you can think of in your exhaustion]. Didn't God create a wonderful world for us!" Your companions, rather than thinking you're an out of shape weakling, will think instead you are a wonderful observer of nature, that you are truly connected with the world around you.

Boise friends can try this the next time you feel like you're about to pass out climbing Table Rock.

In a pinch, you could even use the excuse of stopping [constantly] to take photographs with your ever present iPhone. If there is nothing interesting near your feet, look up. It's just a thought. . . 

For more serious reading Walking Towards Easter, Day Four

No comments:

Post a Comment